2.05.2011

February's Day of Reckoning

I decided at the beginning of the year that on the first Saturday of every month, I would take my measurements. Watching the scale can be frustrating, especially when it goes down, then up, then down. And, we've all heard that muscle weighs more than fat. So I figured keeping track of my measurements would be one way for me to see my "real" progress.

January's measurements were my baseline, obviously. I set up 25 places to measure -- with the biceps being measured twice in "relaxed" and "flexed" positions. After all, gotta measure the guns! LOL! I take my measurements at the same time, basically, on these Saturdays: after my usual Saturday morning gym time, but before I eat lunch. I also weigh myself at the gym, usually after my workout.

The weight loss for January logged in at about 4.5 pounds. That is not necessarily impressive, but when doctors recommend 1-2 pounds per week as a healthy weight loss, one that can be maintained long-term, then I'm pretty much on track. It was my measurements that told a different story.

When adding up the changes, my total was 15.875 inches (15 7/8) lost. My biggest changes:

Chest: 1 1/8"
Upper arms: 1" each
Midriff: 1 1/2"
Hips: 1"
Left thigh: 1 7/8"
Right thigh: 1 1/4"

Everybody is not perfectly symmetrical. My legs, in particular, tend to be a bit lopsided because of my history of orthopedic injuries to my left leg. I have more muscle atrophy and fat build-up there. My right quad is still larger because of favoring it, but my left is getting stronger.

I was apprehensive before taking these measurements, as anyone who is overweight tends to be around scales and measuring tapes. I had a wee bit of confidence given to me about 10 days ago, the last time I could take a yoga class before SNOWPOCALYSE 2011. We did upward facing dog, which requires quite a bit of upper body strength. It is a pose I have rarely been successful at, but at this yoga class I was able to do it and think little of it.

Then the blizzard came and I spent two days sitting on my butt and grazing. And, not working out. Given that, the mere loss of 4.5 pounds made me happy. Heck, I was happy just to not have put ON weight! The measurement changes have left me stunned.

I know this won't keep up, but I'm going to enjoy it while it lasts!

No comments:

Post a Comment