4.12.2011

Those Who... Can't?... Teach?

I've been practicing yoga for over 13 years. Granted, there have been times where I've slacked off, not been consistent with my practice, and my mats have gathered dust and stray cat hairs. When I'm consistent with my practice, I feel so much better. Yoga isn't just about turning one's self into a pretzel. It's about mind, spirit, and body working together; relaxation and balance coming from within. When I got my gym membership, I also started taking yoga classes pretty regularly. I've had a love/hate relationship with most of these classes; often they are just too beginner for me and there's only so much you can do to advance your practice. Some poses just don't have an advanced level. I like the instructor as a person, but I've had my struggles with how she chooses to teach her class. Yet, I tend to be quite regular because it keeps me in practice, and I have learned a few new things. We've known for some time that she is eventually leaving. She hasn't set a date yet; they are just now putting their house on the market, blah blah blah. But at tonight's class she put together the fact that I've been practicing for over 13 years with the fact that I'm a teacher, mixed in her own imminent departure, and decided I should become certified and take over her classes. Um, what? Ok, this isn't something completely new to my brain. I've thought about pursuing an instructor's certification through my gym, but I've always had some reason... like, I need to lose another six gazillion pounds before I deign to stand in front of a class and tell them how to work out. So I posed the idea to a friend who is also another of the instructors at the gym. (She's the "tough" one of the instructors!) Her response: "Go for it!" And then she said that while I was at it, I should become certified in Zumba as well. So I'm seriously considering it. It would be a little extra money (after the outlay for the certification classes) and ultimately not really adding anything to my schedule, since I already take many of these classes. And it would be combining things I love to do: teach and work out. But that voice I've blogged about before -- the "there's no way you can fit into those pants" voice, remember him? -- is laughing a little. Really, if 2 years ago you'd said to me at this point I'd be considering teaching a fitness class, I'd have laughed, and laughed hard. It would've taken quite a bit for me to wrap my brain around me taking a fitness class. Amazing what a difference two years can make, no?

No comments:

Post a Comment