7.07.2013

Long Overdue Update

When I started this particular blog, my weight loss was to be one of the focus topics.  Over the months and years, I let that fall by the wayside, mostly because I hit a big plateau.  My weight stayed within a 10 pound range, going up and down, for a year or so.  My shape would change as I was converting fat to muscle, but the scale would not budge.  I began to figure that my body had reached the weight it wanted to be, and I started to resign myself to that size and weight.

Then I happened across a very effective diet, one that allowed me to break through the plateau.  It's called the "Broken Heart Diet."  You find a great significant other who breaks your heart out of the blue.  Then your appetite pulls a Houdini while you resort to over-exercising as a numbing behavior and way to kill free time when your mind may wander into the "coulda, woulda, shoulda" territory.

I don't recommend that diet.  I was on it for about 3 weeks, and I was losing about 4 pounds a week.  1-2 pounds per week is considered a healthy weight loss rate; anything more than that is "too fast" unless you have had a procedure like gastric bypass.

Still, it got me past the plateau AND under the 200 pound mark for the first time since... well, probably since high school, maybe my last year of undergrad when I also lost a bunch of weight.  I brought my diet & exercise under control, in part due to my emotions leveling out and in part thanks to the "My Fitness Pal" app.  The weight loss went to a more appropriate rate.

I am now at the 107.5 pounds lost mark.  I've gone from a 22/24 to a 12/14.  I feel great, and my friends are constantly saying I look fantastic.  Even clients at the gym and other folks who only see me periodically have been noticing the recent loss.  My original goal would require me to lose only 2.5 more pounds, but I have changed that and pushed it back 10 pounds.

I'm never going to be super skinny.  I have big bones and I'm muscular, or "athletic" as some dating sites would say.  And of course there's the ever-popular excess skin, too.  What is the new psychological challenge for me is how close I am to my goal.  I've spent almost 4 years chasing this number, with exercise and calories my rulers for the day.  What is it going to be like when I'm maintaining and not losing?  I just can't fathom it.

Should be an interesting few months.

No comments:

Post a Comment